As a newly-engaged bride, we’re sure you’re oh-so excited to start wedding dress hunting. It’s one of the most exciting parts of wedding planning, but it can also get overwhelming, especially with all the options out there! One way you can stay on track is by following a wedding gown shopping timeline, which we have prepared for you today. This will allow you to spread out the work needed–cramming is a no, no–and allow you to better enjoy the process. We also threw in more wedding dress shopping tips at the end of the article so be sure to read all the way!
12 Months Before The Wedding
- Establish your wedding budget.
- Do your research–bridal shops, gown designs, and custom gown designers.
- Create a shortlist of bridal shops and gown designs.
- Get reviews and referrals from friends and family.
- If you plan to have custom gown made, visit designers and ask for quotations for your dress.
9 Months Before The Wedding
- Start dress fitting.
- If you see something you like off the rack but feel unsure, you can ask the shop if they allow a few days reservation so you can still think it over. But if you’re 100% sure, go make that reservation.
- If you’re having a custom gown made, choose your designer and get measured.
- Canvass bridesmaid dresses and dress shops.
[From: Well-Thought-Out Details Made This Garden Wedding Stand Out / Photo: Hyvis Tong]
6 Months Before The Wedding
- Buy the dress.
- If you’re renting, secure the dress for your wedding date.
- If you’re having a custom gown made, prepare for your first fitting.
- Start looking for accessories and shoes.
- Choose a dress shop or designer for your bridesmaids and schedule a fitting session with them.
3 Months Before The Wedding
- Pick up the dress you bought and book alterations, if needed.
- If you’re renting, you can also book alterations, if needed.
- If you’re having a custom gown made, you will have your next fitting around this time.
- Finalize your shoes and accessories.
- Buy underwear for your wedding day.
- Buy the bridesmaid dresses.
- If you’re having custom bridesmaid dresses made, schedule their first fitting.
1 Month To 1 Week Before the Wedding
- Break in your shoes.
- If you’re having a custom gown made, you may have your final fitting from this time up to one to two weeks before the wedding–however, we recommend talking to your designer so schedule this sooner rather than later.
- If you’re having custom bridesmaid dresses made, schedule their final fitting and let them take home the dresses.
1 Day Before The Wedding
- Make sure to pack your entire wedding attire–gown, shoes, and accessories–properly.
Follow this timeline and enjoy every minute of wedding dress shopping! Meanwhile, here are some other wedding dress shopping articles that will also help you.
- Wedding Gown 101: Wedding Gown and Styled Explained
- How To Care for Your Wedding Dress Before and After
- What Wedding Dress Style Suits Your Body Type? Red This To Find Out
- What You Need To Know If You Plan To Rent Your Wedding Gown
- 7 Expert Tips On How To Choose The Perfect Wedding Dress
- What To Expect During Your First Wedding Dress Fitting Session